Chemotherapy for Pets

Cancer is more widely found in dogs than cats. Learning that your furry friend has cancer can be very scary. At East Oshawa Animal Hospital, we are here to provide you with support throughout your pet’s road to recovery. Please do not hesitate to give us a call to learn more about our chemotherapy services for pets. 

Contact Us 

How do I know if my pet has cancer?

There are many signs that may indicate that your pet has cancer. With regular veterinary exams each year, the disease can be detected early and give your pet a better chance at survival. Here are some signs to lookout for:

  • Wounds that won’t heal
  • Unusual discharge from the eye, mouth, ears
  • Swollen stomach
  • Bumps underneath the skin
  • Sudden weight loss

What happens during chemotherapy?

As a precaution, we run blood tests to figure out what is a safe dosage for your pet during each session. Our doctors will examine the results and determine if your pet is well enough for the treatment. If the results show that your pet is a good candidate for chemotherapy, the medication is given through injection or in oral tablets. If the blood tests detect a problem, we will reschedule. If you have questions about chemotherapy, don’t hesitate to call us at 905-576-3344.

Will my pet have side effects during chemotherapy?

Most of our patients (80%) respond remarkably well to chemotherapy and experience no side effects. If your pet is part of the remaining 20%, they may experience some mild side effects such as vomiting, fatigue, diarrhea and loss of appetite. The symptoms can last for a few hours or days.

Contact Us